jeudi 28 juin 2018

Can design patterns (factory pattern) be referenced outside a classic OOP approach? (academic context)

Now first of all, I'm not exactly sure if this should be moved to academia, but I think it is still 'SO enough'.

Here is the situation. For my master's thesis I have implemented a web-based application using javascript/angularjs. The application in question enables the user to create different items and as such, I had to implement various toolboxes and wizards. From a high level point of view, I used factory patterns:

Angular services provide methods for controllers to receive objects, which are created by the service based on an abstract object skeleton and the parameters given by the controller.

It made sense to me back then since I was used to Java mostly. Now I am fully aware that AngularJS (Javascript) is no OOP language and lacks things like inheritance which are usually a core element of the classic design patterns. Factory is not the only example here, I also used Observer and Producer/Consumer like approaches.

Now in my written thesis I have to describe and ideally back up what I have done and why. A simple "It made sense to me" is not something I would exactly feel comfortable writing, but making a bad reference would be even worse. So the question has basically three parts:

Is it viable to reference classic design patterns in this context?

If no, are there other, similar standards for non-oop languages?

If also no, would 'I thought it was a good idea' be better than not giving any reasoning at all?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire