mardi 30 août 2016

How does slack store unread message counts?

I'm building a chat application and I'm trying to identify the state architecture for indicating unread messages.

My state currently contains a list of messages. On render, I group them by conversation so I can render a list of recipients and, for the selected recipient, the messages.

The simplest approach would be to also store a lastRead hash of {recipient: lastReadTimestamp} in the state as well. On render, count the number of messages in each conversation whose timestamp is greater than the stored lastRead timestamp to get the number of unread messages. And when the recipient is selected, set the lastRead timestamp for that recipient to that of the most recent message.

The problem with this is if, while you're away, 15+ messages come in - to the point that some are beyond the viewport and you'd have to scroll to see them. Once you select that recipient, it will mark the lastRead timestamp as the most recent message, essentially marking the entire conversation as "read" even though there are messages above that haven't been seen.

Instead I was hoping to have functionality more like Slack's. in-view or an InteractionObserver could detect when a message has actually come into the viewport.

slack screenshot

But what would I store in the state? The ids of each unread message? If so, when I refresh and my app receives all the messages, how does it know any of them are read? I could store the ids of each read message instead but that sounds unwieldy.

Has anyone seen a good design pattern for this?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire