mardi 31 mai 2016

How can I polymorphically structure a database?

This might be a stupid question but I have very little experience. I have encountered an issue where I am working with a Excel spreadsheet for a small factory.

It has a huge list of products that are grouped into families.

analogy: Corolla, Avensis, Landcruiser = Toyota

Furthermore the products have a list of tasks associated with them.

Corolla: Step 1 Step 2 Step 3...

All products share tasks in the first few stages even across different families. But some occur at a different stage during production What may be step 6 in productX is step 5 in productY. But productX and productY share 1-5. (And this is true across the board.

I have three questions. Is it possible to polymorphically structure a database? Common tasks can be placed in the base class and get more specific (common for OO).

If it is not can you create a central database of unordered tasks and give some sort of priority to each database of a product and they give the tasks some order.

Final question is has anyone encountered such a problem? I have a feeling there has to be a design pattern to this. It feels like a solution is just beyond my grasp.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire