mardi 25 juillet 2023

Is it a bad idea to manage 1000+ alert configs in bazel?

I have something like 1000 alerts in YAML files that we parse with python and then spit out some machine readable files which are then ingested downstream by compilers. I want to update the system to be easier to work with, and I think there are benefits to be had by moving config from yaml into bazel (already used extensively by others working on the project).

I figured bazel would be good since the rules/providers would offer clear and documented inputs and we wouldnt need to invoke some kind of additional generator. A lot of people I talk to seem to think this is abusing bazel in some way, but Im confused by that. Bazel just takes pieces of data and manipulates them, similar to what a generator would do, with the added benefit of caching that data when it doesnt change. It also just integrates nicer with the rest of the build system and should allow us to do more complicated/comprehensive checks sooner.

Am I wrong for thinking I can use bazel for this? It seems to feel right.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire