jeudi 14 septembre 2023

Is it up to the caller or called to ensure to make sure the arguments exist?

This question should be language agnostic, but for simplicity, I will provide an example in python.

Suppose that I have a pandas dataframe with some columns and I have a getter that gets one of the columns:

def get_dataframe_column(dataframe, column_name):
  # should I check that the column exists here

I'm wondering what is best practice. Should the get_data_column function itself check to make sure the column exists, or should the caller know what they're doing and make sure they're using it correctly?

I feel like when it comes to python, they have more error checking than a language like C++, so maybe the question does become language dependent?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire