lundi 29 décembre 2014

History tables - Increasing rows with no limits

I'm no DBA and wanted to discuss or learn the best practices for tables whose rows can grow without a limit.


I saw that, at least where I work, the solution was to use a hot table (with 1 month of data, for example), and a process to move the "old" data to an identical table (history table).


The justification is that it would improve the performance of the newest data and historical data is subjected to a longer time to complete a survey.


For such approach, applications that query this data are required to identify whether the search time will only get the hot table or it should query also the history table.


I am little outraged by this solution. I am aware that Oracle has solutions for problems as this (Index / Tablespace / Cluster). As I have little knowledge, I cannot show them better and more accurate options.


Can anyone share some experience for cases like mine?


Could you provide me with some directions?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire